Rohit's travel blogs

Travel with me...

Can you smile for a passport photo?

Did you know that a child passport has the validity of only 5 years? Passports for adults last 10 years, so you may forget to renew your child’s passport after they expire. So, if your children have passports, make sure you check the expiration date. If it is expired already or about to expire in six or fewer months, then you need to replace it asap in case you are planning for an overseas family vacation soon.

So, you want to how the application for child passport renewal takes place, ETS expedite passport services will answer your question.

Apply for child passport renewal

You are only allowed to use the passport renewal form DS-82, if you got your last passport after you crossed 16 years of age.

To apply for a child passport renewal (even if online) you are required to go the passport office with said child/ children in person.  The procedure to renew the child passport is slightly different for those under 16 years of age and those above.

First step – Gather all your documents

In case you apply for baby passport (i.e. for child below 16 years)

You will need –

  • A passport application for DS-11, the same form you’d need for applying a passport for the first time. Don’t sign the document until you are in the passport office and the acceptance agent explicitly tells you to sign. Carry a black ink pen to fill the form.
  • A proof of citizenship- You can use the child’s birth certificate or even their expired passport – as long as it’s in good condition
  • A proof of relationship – the birth certificate must have both parent’s name or you can carry a report of birth abroad (also with parent’s name). In case of adoption- an adoption decree with parent’s name, or a court order establishing guardianship or custody.
  • Proof of identity for both parents.
  • Parental consent- for a child under 16 to get a passport- both parents must consent. However, in case both parents can’t be available or if you are a single parent – you will need a notarized statement or a consent for the absent parent or an evidence that the child is under sole custody of the parent that is in presence.
  • 2 passport photos

Passport renewal for minor (16 and up years of age)

A passport for 16 and up child has a validity for 10 years as an adult passport. What you need -

  • Passport Application Form DS-11.
  • Proof of citizenship (of the kid)
  • Proof of identity – this can be their driver’s license and in case they don’t have one they can use a parent’s ID
  • Parental consent: For older teens, only one parent has to tag along to demonstrate “awareness.”
  • 2 passport photos.

Second Step – Finding a passport office

While many just apply at a post office there are many passport offices available at the local government buildings or libraries. You may google “passport offices near me” or “post office with passport services near me” and get the answer.

In the office you will meet the passport acceptance agent who will examine all the documents, accept the fee and watch as you sign the form. Then, they will send the filled application to the Department of State to start processing.

Third Step – Pay the fees

This will be dependent upon the child’s age.

Under 16 years of age

  • Passport book: $80 application fee plus a $35 execution fee.
  • Passport card: $15 application fee plus a $35 execution fee.
  • Passport book and card: $95 application fee plus a $35 execution fee.
  • If you need your passport in 3 weeks or less, you’ll pay a $60 expedite fee.

Of and Over 16 years of age

  • Passport book: $110 application fee plus a $35 execution fee.
  • Passport card: $30 application fee plus a $35 execution fee.
  • Passport book and card: $140 application fee plus a $35 execution fee.
  • $60 expedite fee, if applicable

After this, you will have to wait.

How to Expedite a Child's Passport renewal?

Passport processing time typically takes 4-6 week (regular) and 2-3 weeks (expedite) with post offices.

But what if you want it renewed faster than that? - You can use passport expediting service, especially a good one like the ETS San Diego passport agency. It can get your kid a shiny new passport quick- with processing time as fast as 24 hours. No need to make a road trip to the office, no missing work (or children to miss school/playing) or making a suitable appointment – just courier your child’ documents to us after they are verified at the post office and the passport will be in your hands as soon as in 24 hours if opt to.

Go Back


Blog Search


There are currently no blog comments.